All-inclusive crafting system
Crafting is the art of making new things out of raw materials, tools and talent. There are a lot of different ways to craft in Frandum, but the general idea is to gather enough raw materials in a specific container, wield the tool of the craft and choose the shape you want to craft.
Example: to weave a red and blue silk dress, you can put a roll of red silk and a blue silk tunic onto a loom, wield a weaver shuttle and type "WEAVE DRESS".
Crafting is discomposed into a family of commands, depending upon what you want to do:
||Tool(s) to wield
||Container where to put material
||staff, handle, stool...
||hammer and pincers
||ring, armour, blade...
||dress, socks, shirt...
||basin filled with water
||belt, purse, armour...
same as knit
Things to note
- Type the name of a command without argument to see a list of what you maycraft.
- Type "CRAFT" + the name of a thing to get general information about it (e.g. craft scarf). This information will be related to your lore skill, so grow in lore if you want to know more.
- Most commands will take just enough of the material they need. If you put three branches to build a sabot but only 1.5 are needed, the first two willbe consumed but the last one will remain.
- Weave and knit retain in the crafted item's name the colour of the items used for crafting, shape retains the average strength of the leather used, while the other commands retain the material.
- Assemble will use already crafted items to assemble them into a pattern.Typically, put an axe blade and a handle onto the anvil to assemble an axe.It is for the moment the most limited command as patterns need to be definedfor it to work, so we are counting on your IDEAs.
- Assemble works well with DISMANTLE, a command to break down an item intoits constituents (e.g. dismantle dagger will give you a short blade and a hilt).
- Forge will melt everything that is metallic, leave stones and gemstones intact and burn or boil the rest, so be careful. As such, it allows for non-pure elements to be forged. It will also mix metals with stones or gemstones. For instance, putting a silver ring with an emerald and a steel mace (withits wooden handle) will allow you to forge a silver, steel and emerald tiara. Extra metal will be shaped into ingots of 1 kilogram each, extra stones willremain as they were.
- Tan transforms a skin into leather: one input, and only one possible output.
- When you craft, a little bit of the raw material will always be lost.
- The first time you successfully use each of the crafting commands, you will validate a quest and score a few points.
- People around the world will share their knowledge of crafting with you for a price. You may also simply craft things to increase your skills.
The crafting skills are grouped under a general crafting category and will grow as you craft, unless you encounter people who will teach you. The skills generally command the value in goins and strength (damage, protections...) of the items you craft. Assemble and dismantle are both commands related to the TINKERING skill.